Are you 16 or 17 years old and wondering why JobKeeper has stopped for you? The Federal Government has changed its policy on JobKeeper for young workers aged 16 and 17 to cut off payments after 11 May unless you are 'independent' or not a full-time student. If you think your employer is not doing the right thing with JobKeeper, let us know.

Currently if you are 16 or 17, you must either not be a full-time student or be 'independent' to receive JobKeeper.

What does 'independent' mean?

Whether or not you are 'independent' is defined in the Social Security Act 1991. According to the JobKeeper nomination form, generally, you are 'independent' if you:

  • have supported yourself through work with long term full or part-time employment broadly for a two year period
  • are, or have been, married or are in a registered relationship
  • live in a de facto relationship as a member of a couple for at least 12 months
  • have, or have had, a dependent child
  • are a job seeker assessed as unable to work over 30 hours a week
  • are unable to live at home due to extreme circumstances
  • have parents that are unable to support you
  • are a refugee and your parents do not live in Australia
  • are an orphan and have not been legally adopted or,
  • are in state care, including foster care.

If you're not sure about whether you are independent for eligibility purposes, go to for more information.

What does 'full time student' mean?

You are a ‘full time student’ (and not eligible for JobKeeper, unless you are over 18 or ‘independent’) if you were studying full time as defined in the Social Security Act 1991. Full-time study is defined in broad terms to mean enrolled in and undertaking study in a course of study at an educational institution of at least 75 per cent of the normal full-time study requirements. Check out the Services Australia website at for more info.

Confused? You're not alone. Get in touch with us and we'll help:

Authorised by M Harrison for UnionsACT, 11 London Circuit, Canberra ACT 2601.

Did this answer your question?