What is the JobSeeker payment? 

JobSeeker, formerly the Newstart payment, is a fortnightly payment available to Australian citizens and some permanent residents who are unemployed, are sick or injured and are unable to work or study as usual.  

Who is eligible for JobSeeker?

The JobSeeker payment is available to Australian residents who are unemployed, including anyone who has lost their job, been stood down without pay, is on unpaid leave or has had their hours reduced to the point where they earn below a certain threshold per fortnight. Unfortunately, the payment is not extended to unemployed workers who are not Australian residents at this time. 

You also have to meet other criteria including:

  • You’re between 22 and aged pension age
  • You meet the residency requirements 
  • You are not receiving the JobKeeper payment through your employer
  • Your income and assets are not over the income threshold - find out more about the threshold here

How do I get the payment? 

You need to register to be a JobSeeker recipient through Services Australia (Centrelink). If you haven’t got an account with Services Australia you may have to call to receive a CRN (Customer Reference Number) before you can complete the application online. You will need to disclose whether you are receiving JobKeeper payments, as this will make you ineligible for JobSeeker. 

If you have a concern about something or need more assistance, you can contact us at the Young Workers Advice Service by emailing youngworkerscbr@unionsact.org.au. We can give you advice about what you are entitled to, and help you decide what to do. We can also direct you to other people who can help.  You can also contact Services Australia. 

To find out more about how to join your union, visit http://www.unionsact.org.au/joinyourunion/ or have a look at our fact sheet here.

Authorised M Harrison for UnionsACT, 11 London Circuit, Canberra ACT 2601.

Did this answer your question?