'Leave' means a period of time where you have permission to be absent from work. 

Permanent Employees
If you are a permanent employee - meaning that you are not a casual - you are entitled to certain minimum amounts of leave. 

These types of leave include: 

  • Up to 12 months of unpaid parental leave (and the right to ask for an extra 12 months unpaid leave)

  • Four weeks of paid annual leave (per year)

  • 10 days of paid personal/carer's leave, and 2 days unpaid carer's leave

  • Two days compassionate leave

  • five days of unpaid family and domestic violence leave (per year) - if you are someone in your family is experiencing family or domestic violence

  • Unpaid community service leave for voluntary emergency activities, of 10 days of paid leave for jury service

  • Paid long service leave

Casual Employees

Casual employees are not entitled to the same types and amounts of leave that permanent employees can access. Casuals are entitled to:

  • Two days unpaid carer's leave

  • Two days unpaid compassionate leave (per occasion)

  • Five days unpaid family and domestic violence leave (per year)

  • community service leave (except paid jury service)

Casuals are not required to be available at all times, and can refuse work if they need to.

What do I do if I think I am not getting what I am entitled to? 

If you think you are not getting what you are entitled to, get in touch with us. We can give you advice about what your entitlements are, and help you decide what to do. We can also direct you to other people who can help.  

To find out more about how to join your union, visit http://www.unionsact.org.au/joinyourunion/ or have a look at our fact sheet here.

Did this answer your question?